Drought is a complex challenge and poses financial, ecological and social risks to agriculture. This site is designed to streamline access to partners and other resources to build drought resilience.
Drought Webinars and Resources
Grassland Endurance: Management for/with Drought; (1 Hour) USDA-NRCS Rangeland Specialist Julie Elliott explains what grassland needs to grow and the damage during drought. She also shares some stocking tools to help producers estimate how much grass may be available. https://youtu.be/WvWRnX1NbnM
Long Range Stocking Rate Decision Tool; (17 minutes) Retta Bruegger CSU Extension Range Specialist visits about a 78 year stocking rate study, sharing a stocking rate decision tree for producers based on PDO, El Nino/La Nina, and local moisture. https://youtu.be/rlqZ9sbif-o
Living Dry: Lessons Learned; (39 minutes) John Welch, owner of Welch Cattle Company and former CEO of Spade Ranches discusses the necessity for having a written drought plan and alternative steps to take when faced with drought. https://youtu.be/gSfDjE4NWjU
- Livestock and forage grower # 1 | Drought planning from a Rancher’s perspective
- Livestock and forage grower # 2 | Strategic decision tools and rangeland management in drought
- Livestock and forage grower #3 | Weed Management in Drought & Nutritional Considerations in Drought
- Planning for drought
- Streamflow Forecasting with SNOTEL
- Long Range Stocking Rate Decision Tool – (17 minutes) Retta Bruegger CSU Extension Range Specialist discusses a 78-year stocking rate study, sharing a stocking rate decision tree for producers based on PDO, El Nino/La Nina, and local moisture.
Partners working with CSU Extension in developing our drought resources include Rocky Mountain Farmers Union, the Colorado Agriculture Water Alliance, the Colorado Department of Agriculture, CSU Agriculture Experiment Station, and the Natural Resources Conservation Service.
Contact a Drought Advisor
We are your resource. Our mission as drought advisors is to build short and long-term resilience to drought among Colorado producers. We assume producers are experts in their own operation. We work with individuals to identify risks posed by drought and strategies to cope, and connect producers with financial, educational and institutional resources.
Contact a Drought Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org