Drought is a complex challenge and poses financial, ecological and social risks to agriculture. This site is designed to streamline access to partners and other resources to build drought resilience.
Drought Forecasting and Tools
- Using Forecasts in Drought Planning; Becky Bolinger (Colorado Climate Center), Brian Domonkos (USDA – SNOTEL) and Justin Derner (USDA-ARS) share information on applying drought information to decisions.
- Long Range Stocking Rate Decision Tool; (17 minutes) Retta Bruegger CSU Extension Range Specialist visits about a 78 year stocking rate study, sharing a stocking rate decision tree for producers based on PDO, El Nino/La Nina, and local moisture.
- Streamflow Forecasting with SNOTEL; Brian Domonkos and Karl Wetlaufer of USDA Snotel explain resources available for predicting streamflow with snowpack and how streamflow forecasts are made.
Risk Management in Drought; Jeff Tranel, CSU Extension, addresses tax implications of drought for ag operations. Corey Hicks of the Farm Service Agency details what programs are available through the FSA for drought relief. Finally, Brent Young, CSU Extension demonstrates a partial budgeting tool to evaluate costs and benefits of adopting changes in practices that impact drought resilience.
Rangeland Management in Drought
- Grassland Endurance: Management for/with Drought; (1 Hour) USDA-NRCS Rangeland Specialist Julie Elliott explains what grassland needs to grow and the damage during drought. She also shares some stocking tools to help producers estimate how much grass may be available.
- Weed Management in Drought & Nutritional Considerations in Drought
- Livestock and Range Drought Management; Four innovative ranchers from across the state will share how they prepare for and respond to drought.
- Strategic decision tools and rangeland management in drought
Crops Drought Management
Learn about critical periods for alfalfa and strategies for maintaining production with limited water, soil management strategies to buffer drought, and decision-making in drought. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gDYTVsH7P8
- Living Dry: Lessons Learned; (39 minutes) John Welch, owner of Welch Cattle Company and former CEO of Spade Ranches discusses the necessity for having a written drought plan and alternative steps to take when faced with drought.
- When Faced with Drought
- Drought planning from a Rancher’s perspective and legalities of Stock water and Water Retention
- Planning for drought; using Irrigation Scheduling, water right’s considerations in drought, and drought planning.